Saturday, March 29, 2014

Thing 20: Games

I must admit it. When I look at the iPad for playing games all I can think of is the wasted time. However, as one who has logged thousands of miles on Bejeweled (and, years ago, spider solitaire), I know what a big thing gaming is.

I never joined the Candy Crush phase, so to help me with Thing 20 I installed it on my iPad and I'm going to try to get addicted to it. We'll see. 

I was most impressed with the idea of creating games, and loved reading this recent news story about Sartell High School graduate David Hanson and his wife, Jackie Anderson, who have taken David's love of programming and created a game called 'Shuffling Sheep' for both the iOS and the Android operating systems, and a new company aptly named Frigid Turtle. There's a great article and video about them in the St Cloud Times at http://archive.sctimes.com/article/20140302/BUSINESS01/303020003/Sartell-resident-turns-passion-gaming-into-business-plan. I can't help but think how cool it would be if we had some students in my high school (or my own son!) who would spend less time playing games and start creating games!

I did spend some time enjoying David's Sheep Shuffle game and I have to admit I did enjoy it! 

One summer in my youth my younger brother and I began a backgammon challenge. We probably played thousands of games and although we kept track of who won each game I have no idea who the final victor was but I know I loved the competition! I would guess that until I had an iPod I hadn't gotten caught up in game-playing in that way since then. 

Other games that would cause great embarrassment for me if anyone ever saw the number of hours I spent on them:

Temple Run: I am really good at this, if I do say so myself!

Words with Friends: fantastic game for those of us who love Scrabble!

Word Warp: Gotta love those word games!

I also have to give a shout-out to all the amazing games for young children these days! Whether you have a little one who lives and breathes Legoes, horses, dinosaurs, or trains, there are certainly many options for all!

And that's enough for Thing 20...for Candy Crush awaits!


No comments:

Post a Comment